- 8-12 doves or 4 domestic squab or 8 quail
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Creole or Cajun spice rub
- Coat the doves in the oil, then toss in a bag or plastic container with the spice rub. Let the birds sit in the fridge for at least an hour, and up to a day.
- When you are ready to cook them, get the grill hot, but leave a cooler spot where there are no coals underneath, or, if you have a gas grill, turn off one burner. Make sure the grates are clean, and right before you put the doves on the grill, wipe down the grill with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. Use tongs to do this.
- Put the doves or squab, breast side up, on that cool side of the grill for 5 minutes with the grill cover down.
- Move the doves to one side — you’re searing the wings and legs here — and grill over the hot side of the grill (with the cover up) for 2 minutes, or until the side is nice and browned. Repeat on the other side.
- Finally, flip the doves so the breast is facing the flame and grill for another 1-2 minutes, or until the breast is nicely browned, with a little char on it. Let the doves rest for 5 minutes before eating.
- Served best as an appetizer